Saturday, March 19, 2011

Banished..

The hard thing about normal daily life during chemotherapy is that your white blood cell count goes down. And when those white blood cells disappear, you can't fight easy infections and they get worse and worse.

Case in point: during my first chemo cycle, I developed a little sore throat on my third day post chemo. Honey, tea, gargling with salt water, nothing worked. It got so bad that I couldn't swallow water without serious pain. After 3 sleepless nights and fever that wouldn't let up, I broke down and called the oncologist, who directed me to the hospital for intravenous antibiotics and blood count tests. Then 10 days of oral clindamycin, and a one week delay of my chemo cycle was the consequence.
No I do not want to relive that horrible experience. The sore throat caused more distress than the cancer, to be honest.

So Sami (my 6 year old) and I are banished while my hubby and other daughter battle out another bad head cold. A day in NYC watching a Martha Graham dance troupe performance was hardly painful. And two days of rest and relaxation at dad's home in Connecticut is very peaceful. But it would be nice to be back home, I can't lie.

No comments: